Let us delve into the classical texts as they give us an 8-fold classification of Specialities in Ayurveda. The Susruta Samhita reveals to us the compendium, referred to as Ashtanga Ayurveda, to include:
- Shalya Tantra, i.e. Surgery – This covers the tactics and procedures to recover from wounds, burns, cuts, surgical amenities, etc.
- Shalakya Tantra, i.e. Opthalmology and Head/Neck surgery for Supraclavicular diseases – This deals with diseases of the ear, eye, mouth and nose.
- Kaya Chikitsa, i.e. Internal Medicine – Symptoms of Fever, Diarrhoea, Mental disorder, Skin Diseases, Leprosy, etc. are dealt here.
- Bhutabidya, i.e. Psychosomatic Medication – To ensure the mental and spiritual peace of the patient.
- Kaumarya Birtya, i.e. Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology – Child caring, purification of breastfeeding, pollution of the breast and childhood diseases caused by the misalignments of the planets and/or natural calamities are handled here.
- Agad Tantra, i.e. Toxicology and Medical Jurisprudence – This explains illness due to snake bite, poisoning, insects, spiders, scorpions, etc., and suggests the possible methods to recover from these physical injuries.
- Rasayana, i.e. Medication to promote Vitality, Stamina and Longevity. To rejuvenate. – This enumerates on protection from unwanted aging, enhancement of intellectuality and knowledge, boosting the spirit and physical strength, and dealing with chronic diseases.
- Vajikarana, i.e. Medication for Fertility and Potency – This analyzes the increase of sperm count for men, the purification of polluted sperm, sexual ejaculation, sexual competence and sperm reproduction, and enhancement of the strength of men.
Kindly read an English Translation of the Susruta Samhita from which the post is an extract. This is the book titled ‘The Sushruta Samhita’ translated and published by Kaviraj Kunja Lal Bhishagratna (1916).
Disclaimer: This list of specializations is the entire compendium of Ayurvedic knowledge and not suggestive of the treatments offered in Kerala Ayurveda Centre. For instance, we do not perform surgeries of any sort in the centre.
PS: It’ll not be long before you get a glimpse of the various activities of the centre here in Singapore! Just wait a few days!