(Photo credit: PracticalCures.com)
Dandruff is a common condition with flaking of the skin on the scalp. Dandruff is not contagious and is rarely serious. It is commonly affected on scalp and also seen in eyebrows, around the nose, and chest.
In Ayurvedic texts, dandruff is termed as “darunaka” which is mentioned under minor skin diseases (Kshudra roga).
The very basics of Ayurveda is the thridoshas or the 3 elements that governs the body functions and the tridoshas are vata, pitta and kapha:
-Vata dosha is responsible for all movements, circulation and neurological functions in the body.
-Pitta dosha is associated with fire or heat and is responsible for all metabolic activities in the body.
-Kapha is the heaviest of the the three doshas. It provides the structures and the lubrication that the body needs.
In Ayurveda, the causative factors of dandruff are aggravated vata dosha and kapha dosha. Aggravation of these doshas may be due to lack of sleep at night, long term use of fermented food, excessive exposure to sunlight, dust, suppression of natural urges, excessive sweating, stress, anxiety and lack of hygiene.
Imbalance of these doshas results in releasing toxins in the body leading to dryness itching, hair fall, causing minute cracks, burning sensation and sometimes heaviness and pricking sensation.
Dandruff, the white dust falling on shoulder with severe itching and hair loss can produce mental stress. Chronic dandruff may lead to other inflammatory skin lesions. Dandruff may also be seen in seborrhoeic dermatitis and early stages of psoriasis.
- Gentle medicated warm oil application on dry scalp
- Nasyam ( application of oil drops in nostrils) with medicated oil for internal purification.
- Thalapothichil (application of herbal pack on scalp )
- Head wash with medicated water with triphala etc. to reduce the infection.
- Shirovasthi (medicated oil is kept on the head using a special cap)
- Shirodhara (pouring streams of medicated oil on head) which also good for relaxation & sleep .
- Takradhara (medicated butter milk streams on head instead of oil in shirodhara) is good in dandruff and psoriasis.
- Detoxification with certain internal medication to purify the toxins and balance the doshas.
- Maintain regular hygiene,sufficient water intake, wholesome diet, sound sleep, oil application and head bath to keep the scalp free from dandruff.